Discover the Best!

Topday lets you discover the most popular news, images, videos and gifs from around the web, on all your favorite topics.

Our content-analysis-technology and veteran editors surface the latest trending content so you never miss out on your next favorite thing.

Sign up now to follow your favorite topics and discover the best of the Internet!

Sign Up  Get the App


Maksym Shapoval, a colonel in the chief intelligence directorate of Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense, was blown up in a car-bomb explosion at 8:14 a.m. on June 27 in Kyiv.

Ukraine’s law enforcement agencies put the blame on Russia, chief military prosecutor Anatoly Matios said during a press briefing at the Presidential Administration building in Kyiv.

An explosion in a car killed Shapoval on Solomyanska Street in Kyiv.

It also injured a female passerby.
Police in Manchester are “confident of rolling up” the suspected terrorist cell behind the attack, according Security Minister Ben Wallace.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme ahead of another meeting of the government’s emergency committee Cobra, Wallace said:

“The police are confident that they are in a position to have a good coverage of what’s happened, and of rolling it up, I can’t say any more about that, that would threaten ongoing operations. It is still very live, it is still very hot. That’s why we have critical as our security state.”

Asked if the police were searching for two more bombs, Wallace said: “We are trying to roll up a network. This is not a lone individual. We have to close down every lead we find. We have to follow it up and make sure we make the arrests and the searches that we need to do.”

He added: “There is a difference between the Westminster attack, which was a single individual ... and this lot. That’s why we are on a heightened state of alert.
Launched as the technology giant's comeback phone after the disastrous roll-out of the fire-prone Note 7 handset, the phone allows users to unlock the device merely by pointing the camera at their unique iris patterns.

Tricking the S8's iris recognition system by utilizing 'night mode,' Europe's largest association of German hackers, the collective Chaos Computer Club (CCC), fooled the phone's sensor with infrared light.

The infrared image was then printed using a laser printer and a contact lens placed on the printed photograph of the infrared image.

When held up to the phone, it was recognised as the eye of the person for whom the handset was registered to and unlocked itself.
A 4WD Hilux ute that killed Alex Theodore, 62, and Junior Saini, 49, when it allegedly ran a red light on Princes Highway following a series of police pursuits this morning was stolen from Mosman almost 24 hours earlier.

The ute was allegedly stolen about 6.30am yesterday but it only came to the attention of police at 4am, when the first of three police pursuits began.

Mr Theodore and Mr Saini were on their way to work at a printing firm when they were hit by the ute, allegedly driven by Raymond Lomas, 34.

The last of the three chases was called off 10 minutes before the ute hit the Hyundai Elantra at the intersection of Princes Hwy and Canal Rd, St Peters, just after 4.30am.

Acting assistant commissioner Michael Fitzgerald said a police car was parked at the intersection before the crash but was not involved in pursuing the stolen ute.
The judge in the murder trial of Vincent O'Dempsey will continue instructing the jury on how it can reach its verdict for a second day.

O'Dempsey, 78, has pleaded not guilty to the murders of Barbara McCulkin and her two daughters - Vicki, 13, and Leanne, 11 - who were last seen at their Highgate Hill home on the night of January 16, 1974.

A three-week trial in the Brisbane Supreme Court has heard from more than 50 witnesses, including three people who claimed O'Dempsey confessed his involvement in the murders.

The jury is expected to begin considering its verdict as early as Thursday once Justice Peter Applegarth finishes his final summations.
Police have charged a woman in southern Alberta with making threats against the prime minister's wife and the Canadian government on social media.

RCMP say investigators were able to trace the social media account and link it to an address in Lethbridge.

Police say Lisa Seymour-Peters, who is 49, was arrested May 12, she has been charged with one count under the Criminal Code of uttering threats.

Seymour-Peters has been released from custody on the conditions that she not contact or be found within 100 meters of Sophie Gregoire Trudeau or her immediate family.

As well, she is not to attend any political gathering or function.

She is to appear in Lethbridge provincial court on June 8.
British police and intelligence agencies arrested three more suspects Wednesday in connection with the Manchester suicide bombing and moved quickly to secure key sites across the country, including Buckingham Palace and the British Parliament at Westminster.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the bomber, identified as British-born Libyan Salman Abedi, "likely" did not act alone when he killed 22 people and wounded dozens at an Ariana Grande concert Monday night in Manchester.

She said he had been known to security forces "up to a point."

Police said three men were arrested Wednesday in south Manchester, where a day earlier a 23-year-old man was also arrested and a number of homes were searched.

Britain raised its threat level from terrorism to "critical" after an emergency government meeting late Tuesday amid concerns that the 22-year-old Abedi may have accomplices who are planning another attack.

British soldiers have been deployed in place of police officers to guard high-profile sites such as Buckingham Palace and Parliament.
The OPP say they've charged Thunder Bay Police Chief J.P. Levesque with breach of trust and obstructing justice.

Provincial police launched an investigation in January at the request of the RCMP, according to a news release issued by OPP on Tuesday.

The investigation was referred to a qualified major case manager with the OPP criminal investigation branch, according to the news release.

Levesque, 53, is currently off on medical leave, according to the Thunder Bay Police Services Board. 

"The public can be assured that the members of the Thunder Bay Police Service will continue to serve and protect our community," said a statement issued by the board on Tuesday afternoon just moments after the OPP issued its release.

"We have full confidence in Deputy Chief Hauth and our senior command staff to lead TBPS through this challenging time," the board's statement said.
THE Lindt Cafe siege gunman was a “vicious maniac (with a) severe personality disorder”, a scathing coroner’s report has found.

NSW Coroner Michael Barnes this morning delivered the findings from the inquest into the deaths arising from the Lindt Cafe siege in Martin Place on December 15, 2014.

He described gunman Man Haron Monis as a “vicious maniac (who) oscillated between feigning regard for (the hostages’) welfare and threatening to blow them apart”.

Mr Barnes told a packed the courtroom at Sydney’s John Maddison Tower that a psychiatrist called in by police gave erroneous assessments of the situation inside the cafe and issued ambiguous advice, which contributed to police underestimating the threat Monis posed.

The coroner said the siege “would have challenged any police force in the world”.