Discover the Best!

Alltopics lets you discover the most popular news, images, videos and gifs from around the web, on all your favorite topics.

Our content-analysis-technology and veteran editors surface the latest trending content so you never miss out on your next favorite thing.

Sign up now to follow your favorite topics and discover the best of the Internet!

Sign Up  Get the App

Africa

A suspected Rwandan 1994 genocide mastermind Jean Twagiramungu has been extradited from Germany on Friday and handed over to Rwandan authorities for prosecution.

He was arrested two years ago in Frankfurt and has since battled extradition in courts which finally proved unsuccessful.

Twagiramungu is the first genocide suspect extradited from Germany.

In November 2016, two suspects – Jean-Claude Iyamuremye and Jean-Baptiste Mugimba – living in the Netherlands were extradited after several judicial proceedings to try them in the Hague.

They lost their case at the Hague Court of Appeal and were extradited per the request of Rwandan authorities.

The two suspects lived in the Netherlands with their wives and children after the genocide in 1994 which saw some 800,000 people, mostly from Rwanda’s Tutsi minority, killed. africanews.com
After reportedly turning herself in to South African police on Tuesday over allegations that she assaulted a 20-year-old woman who was partying with her two sons, Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe's whereabouts are currently unknown, and local reports indicate that she may have returned to her country despite officials in Johannesburg stating otherwise.

It had been unclear whether the wife of Zimbabwe's 93-year-old president was traveling in South Africa on a diplomatic passport and, therefore, had legal immunity. She was in the country for medical purposes.

A Zimbabwean intelligence source told Reuters that Mugabe had been traveling on an ordinary nondiplomatic passport.

Fikile Mbalula, South Africa's police minister, had said that charges would be brought against her and that she was being cooperative.

In 2009, a photographer in Hong Kong said Mugabe and her bodyguard had assaulted him, but no charges were brought because the Zimbabwean first lady was able to claim diplomatic immunity.

The young woman accusing Mugabe of assault on Sunday night is Gabriella Engels, who works as a model. washingtonpost.com
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe has said that people who murdered white farmers during a government-sanctioned purge in the 2000s will never be prosecuted.

The 93-year-old president addressed a rally in Harare on Monday to mark Heroes’ Day, which commemorates soldiers who have fought for the country, particularly in its independence war against British colonizers.

Zimbabwe implemented a controversial land reform program in 2000 that saw squatters invade and seize hundreds of white-owned farms around the country.

The violent seizures resulted in the murder of several white farmers, with many more displaced, and close associates of Mugabe given large chunks of land.

“Yes, we have those who were killed when they resisted. We will never prosecute those who killed them. I ask, why should we arrest them?” Mugabe said, according to Zimbabwean news site NewsDay.

The land reform program led to Western donors cutting aid to Zimbabwe and imposing sanctions on many in the government, including Mugabe himself, who remains under EU and U.S. sanctions. newsweek.com
An Argentinian man has been killed in Namibia after he was trampled by an elephant, local media report.

The Namibia Press Agency said the hunter, identified as 46-year-old Jose Monzalvez, was killed on Saturday afternoon in a private wildlife area 70 kilometers (43 miles) northwest of the small town of Kalkfeld.

The agency said Monzalvez, who worked for an oil company, was with another Argentine and three Namibians when he was killed.

It says one of the elephants charged before the group was able to find a spot to aim and shoot.

The report says Monzalvez had a hunting permit with him and that relatives have been informed of his death. independent.co.uk
Twenty people have been killed and a number wounded in a terror attack in the centre of the capital of Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, the government says.

Gunmen opened fire on customers seated outside a restaurant, witnesses said. Foreign nationals are among the dead, but details are still emerging.

The attack is now over, authorities say, with the two assailants also killed by security forces.

A jihadist attack on a nearby cafe killed 30 people in January last year.

There are fears that the latest attack is the work of one of the affiliates of al-Qaeda that are active in the Sahel region, the BBC's Alex Duval Smith reports. bbc.com
The police in Anambra, Nigeria, confirmed on Sunday that a gunman killed eight worshippers and injured 18 others in an early morning attack on St. Philip Catholic Church, Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Garba Umar, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Awka that the remains f the dead had been deposited at Nnamdi Azikwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi.

Umar also said that the injured were taken to the hospital.

He said that preliminary investigations by the police revealed that the attack was carried out by a native of the area.

"From our findings, it is very clear that the person who carried the attack must be an indigene of the area."

"We gathered that worshippers for 6 o’clock Sunday mass at St. Philip Ozobulu were in the service when a gunman dressed in black attire covering his face with a cap entered the church and moved straight to a particular direction and opened fire." guardian.ng
The UN says more than 250 people, including 62 children, have been killed in attacks in the Democratic Republic of Congo that are “taking on an increasing and disturbing ethnic dimension”.

In a report based on interviews with almost 100 victims, the UN’s Human Rights Office said it believed the DRC government to be complicit in the massacres in the south-western Kasai province.

At least 80 mass graves have been identified in the region, the UN said, and investigators believe the abuses in the most recent flare-up of violence could amount to crimes under international law.

Zeid bin Ra'ad al-Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said: “Survivors have spoken of hearing the screams of people being burned alive, of seeing loved ones chased and cut down, of themselves fleeing in terror, and such bloodletting is all the more horrifying because we found indications that people are increasingly being targeted because of their ethnic group.”

But the UN figure is likely to be a considerable underestimation of the true scale of casualties in the violence, which was sparked last year when a regional leader, who was critical of President Joseph Kabila, was assassinated in a military operation.

The Catholic Church, which wields a great deal of political sway in the country, believes the number of dead in the recent conflict is closer to 3,400, accusing security forces and militias of destroying up to 20 whole villages in the Kasai province in June.  independent.co.uk
Much of the developing world is still heavily reliant on coal, and despite massive investments in solar and wind power, populous nations like India are still set to be prolific polluters.

When it comes to the African continent, however, something rather interesting is happening: Many of its countries are set to leapfrog over coal and head straight for clean energy electricity sources.

Although some countries are far more developed than others, overall Africa is home to around 700 million people without a source of electricity.

A key paper from 2016 looked at energy trends across the continent and found that in 21 countries, renewable energy sources could outstrip the nations’ electricity demands by 2030, all for a cost comparable to fossil fuels.

In order for renewable energy to take hold across the continent, a lot of cross-border cooperation will be necessary – something that in certain regions will prove difficult.

The pre-existing, aged electrical grids are also in dire need of an upgrade. iflscience.com
Meet Bukola Bolarinwa, a 28-Year-Old Nigerian lady who has received the Queens Young Leaders Award from Queen Elizabeth of England.

Bukola is the founder of Haima Health Initiative, an online blood donation platform which supports hospitals who struggle to find blood in a safe and timely way.

The Queen’s Young Leaders Awards recognise and celebrate exceptional young people aged 18 to 29 in the Commonwealth who are driving change within their communities and transforming people’s lives.

This kind of award should stand as a motivator for others who are making  efforts to making their countries better and the world in general.

Congrats to her and her team! blogspot.hr